Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blank Spots and Loose Ends



Staring at the darkness of her eyelids, plays of light start to form and soon, a fragile web of images drowns Emilia.
A dress hanging loosely on a young girl’s body swaying with the breeze. The color?…blank. She hugged her jaded teddy bear tightly seeking protection from its lifeless, defenseless body. The wind wafted. In which direction?…blank. A woman appeared. The color of the eyes, the shape of the nose, the length of the hair?....blank. She gingerly touched the little girl and shoved her hands in her pockets. The little girl tilted her body and let out a scream of joy “Mommy!” The woman hushed her and wrenched her to a hidden area in the street.
“I have to go now honey,” the mother said while trying to draw a smile on her lips that didn’t quite reach her eyes.
“When will you be back?” The little girl’s eyes sparked with innocence
“I don’t know. But I promise I will” A stream of tears started pouring down the mother’s eyes. She quickly wiped it, smiled, and found herself crying again.
With that, she faded.
She never saw her again. But in her heart, Emilia always knew she will.
The loose end


image via here 

17 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing!!! Heartbreaking! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maha, I saw your profile on my site and wanted to say hi and thanks for the follow luv.=)

    And, wow! your writing...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a terribly sad story. If my children were taken from me, I would give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the beautiful punch in the gut...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was hard to read...very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abandonment. A central theme among blogs lately and close to my heart. I love the "blank" answers, because it is often so with me and I have not thought of it in this way. It is rather more possitive actually, as a blank can be filled. I am choosing to see it so in this piece and in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, but sad. Think there'll always be lose ends though, no matter how much we try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...that was so heartbreaking. It was beautiful how well you captured the Emilia's childhood innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Maha..i couldnt help my tears reading this piece,it is so touching and my heart is racing,that is very brave of you to write!! it was also very hard to read..BRAVO! YOU are surprising me with an immense talent and a very promising writer to be..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice -- the smile that didn't reach the eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stairway to heaven, you don't know how much your comment means to me. The dream of any writer or poet is to deeply touch the hearts of people, or change something in them. The latter is something I have yet to achieve; when exactly there's no way to know, and it certainly is something great. But now, I thank you for fulfilling my first dream.
    I'm so glad that I found someone as beautiful as you are to enjoy myself reading your amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a perfect blend of emotions.......love......sadness....
    closeness.....departure......AWESOME :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay, you give me my heart back now....

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a terribly sad story. If my children were taken from me, I would give up
    home based data entry

    ReplyDelete